top of page

Deloitte Women's Premier League 2022: Tiong Bahru FC 4-1 Hougang United

Ruthless Tiong Bahru FC destroy Hougang United for first WPL win of the season

Tiong Bahru FC's Clara Lau (right) in action during the Deloitte WPL match against Hougang United. PHOTO: HANA BASIR, SPORTPLUS.SG

Singapore, 6 June 2022 - Hougang United were beaten 4-1 by Tiong Bahru FC at their training ground, St Wilfred on Sunday in the second week of the Deloitte Women’s Premier League.

The win hands Tiong Bahru their first three points of the season as they move up to second place in the table. It was goals galore in the first half which ended 3-1 in Tiong Bahru's favour as goals from Reneelyn Sison, Wang Zhenzhu, and Jacklyn Lee gave the home side the lead, with a solitary goal from Foo Shini giving the Cheetahs a brief glimmer of hope for the second period.

More photos from the match available in's photo gallery here.

Siti Wan Nabilah (right) of Tiong Bahru FC takes on Hougang United's Christine Gan in the Deloitte WPL match at St Wilfrid Sports Complex. PHOTO: HANA BASIR, SPORTPLUS.SG

Despite dominating the opening 45 minutes, Tiong Bahru FC's attacks were thwarted by a stubborn Hougang rearguard, resulting in countless corners for Lawrence Lee’s side as the pressure began to mount on Hougang.

Some say if you keep asking the right questions you would eventually find your answer, and Tiong Bahru FC found theirs in the 20th minute when Sison's far post shot found its way into the back of the net for the all important breakthrough goal, and the first of five to come in this fixture.

Hougang United's Peh Chin Ee (in white) fires through a sea of Tiong Bahru FC defenders. PHOTO: HANA BASIR, SPORTPLUS.SG

The Cheetahs knew they had to make their chances count, and from one such counter attack just three minutes later Hougang drew level.

Peh Chin Ee’s shot was blocked, and the ball found its way to Foo who caught the ball sweetly from range and into the top corner. The Hougang bench erupted in cheers as the newly formed team scored their first club goal.

Tiong Bahru FC's Nur Raudhah Kamis (right) holding her ground as she makes her way to the byline. PHOTO: HANA BASIR, SPORTPLUS.SG

Not long after, Peh had a chance to put her team into the lead as she found herself chasing for the ball with no defender in sight. Her only problem was that Tiong Bahru’s Audrey Cheong had come out of her goal to challenge Peh for the ball. Cheong slid in and won fairly. Calls for a penalty were ignored and a minute later, Tiong Bahru made it 2-1.

Hougang goalkeeper Gladys Cheng misread Wang’s shot from outside the 18-yard-box and the ball bounced up and over her and into the net.

Tiong Bahru FC's Wang Zhenzhu slides in to tackle Hougang United's Nurul Ardian Baharrudin. PHOTO: HANA BASIR, SPORTPLUS.SG

Four minutes before the break, Lee scored a third for her side as she volleyed the ball onto the underside of the crossbar and into the net as Tiong Bahru took a stranglehold of the match.

The Cheetahs came out of the half time break looking stronger, and Dhaniyah Qasimah’s free kick from the wing very nearly crept into the far post and the attacks looked more well organised but as dangerous as they were, so were Tiong Bahru.

Hougang United women's team players celebrate Foo Shini's equalising goal. PHOTO: HANA BASIR, SPORTPLUS.SG

Nur Raudha Kamis’s presence in the final third was a constant threat for Hougang. She ran onto a promising long ball, but Cheng’s save kept the two-goal deficit.

However, two turned to three in the 66th minute when Winette Lee’s cleanly struck free kick gave the game its final goal. Hougang United are yet to find their first win but the loss takes nothing away from the history they made.